IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers are now taking appointments
IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs) are your source for free personal tax help when you believe your tax issue cannot be handled online or by phone. Many questions can be resolved online without visiting a TAC.
Here is how it works. Instead of going directly to your local TAC with a tax issue, you should now call a special toll free number, 844-545-5640, to reach an IRS representative, who is trained to either help you resolve it or schedule an appointment for you to get the help you need. You may be able to resolve your tax issue by calling, getting guidance and eliminating the need to even travel to a TAC, which is sometimes a pretty significant trip.
Assistance is provided in over 150 languages. Taxpayers who simply want to drop off a payment or a tax return or even pick up a tax form can still do that without an appointment. Please always check IRS.gov or check the IRS2Go app for days and hours of operation as well as services offered at the IRS TAC location you plan to visit.
As a reminder, IRS.gov offers numerous online options for tax help that can save time and effort.
• Where’s My Refund?, check refund status and estimated delivery date
• Free File, free tax software offered through IRS partners to allow you to file your taxes online
• Get Transcript, order a transcript online and have it mailed
• Direct Pay, make tax payments or estimated tax payments directly debited from a checking or savings account
• Electronic Federal Tax Payment System, individuals or businesses can make all types of federal tax payments
• Online Payment Agreement, eligible taxpayers can set up installment payments for taxes owed
• Where’s My Amended Return, track the status of your amended return
• Tax Law Questions, provides direct links to helpful resources to answer many tax questions
• All IRS Forms and Publications, find and download current tax forms, instructions and publications